Opus One Productions Presents:
Chelsea Wolfe with A Dead Forest Index
at Mr. Smalls Theatre, 400 Lincoln Ave. Pittsburgh (Millvale) PA 15209
ALL AGES, 9:00 show / 8:00 doors, $18 in advance / $20 day of show
Tickets are on sale NOW at Ticketweb… OR you can WIN a pair of tickets FREE, courtesy of Opus One Productions and Valley of Steel! Keep on reading to find out how…
As you know, around here we deal mainly (but certainly not exclusively) with metal and heavier music. So it may not be surprising that my first exposure to Chelsea Wolfe was that time she appeared as a guest on that Russian Circles album (on this song), and then went on tour with them. But as it turns out, the Californian singer/guitarist has been creating her own unique brand of ambient/experimental/drone (with hints of gothic/doom and various other assorted influences thrown in for good measure) for years — including numerous EPs, singles, and videos, plus five full-length albums. The latest of these, Abyss — released last August by Sargent House — was described by Wolfe as having “the feeling of when you’re dreaming, and you briefly wake up, but then fall back asleep into the same dream, diving quickly into your own subconscious,” inspired by the songwriter’s struggles with sleep paralysis. “I was so struck by that visual,” she said, “the drop into the abyss of one’s own mind, allowing yourself to feel things you’ve hidden away, bringing them front and center. That became the goal of this album.”
Currently touring Europe with Converge (details here) and culminating with a performance at this weekend’s Roadburn Festival, Chelsea and her band will be returning home for a series of North American dates running about a month and a half (details here) with fellow Sargent House band, A Dead Forest Index from New Zealand, before the summer festival schedule starts. Right in the middle of all that, the tour will be hitting Pittsburgh, with an appearance at Mr. Smalls Theatre in Millvale, where I expect the lovely acoustics of this former church will be the perfect channel for the inventive soundscapes.
UPDATE 11 May 2016:
This contest is now closed. Thank you to everyone who entered! Keep an eye on this page for more ticket giveaways to be announced in the near future!
- Only one entry will be accepted via this form per valid email address. (But see below for an opportunity to earn up to two more bonus entries!)
- This prize is non-transferable; a valid photo ID will be required at the door to claim your prize.
- Entries will be accepted from noon (Eastern Daylight Time) on Wednesday, April 13th through noon (Eastern Daylight Time) on Wednesday, May 11th.
- Winner will be randomly selected (via random.org) and contacted using the email address entered in this form after noon (Eastern Daylight Time) on Wednesday, May 11th.
- To be the first to find out about contests like this one, don’t forget to like Valley of Steel on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram!
UPDATE: This contest is now closed. Thank you to everyone who shared the announcement on Facebook!
- IMPORTANT: the official announcement is found at this link. Click that link and use Facebook’s “SHARE” button to share that post on your timeline.
- Your shared post must be marked as “Public” (if we can’t see that you shared it, we can’t give you a bonus entry in the contest!)
- Must “LIKE” the Valley of Steel Facebook page
- Must fill out the form above to enter the contest (and include your name on Facebook in the applicable field, IF that name is different from the name you have entered on this form) before a bonus entry can be earned.
- Limit one bonus entry per person for sharing on Facebook.
UPDATE: This contest is now closed. Thank you to everyone who retweeted the announcement on Twitter!
- IMPORTANT: the official announcement is found at this link. Click that link and use Twitter’s “RETWEET” button to share that tweet with your followers.
- Must follow Valley of Steel on Twitter
- Must fill out the form above to enter the contest (and enter your Twitter username in the applicable field) before a bonus entry can be earned.
- Limit one bonus entry per person for retweeting on Twitter.
* * * * * * *